Areas Of Interest
I'm more likely to take consulting work that dovetails well with my existing priorities, namely:
- The security of critical infrastructure, whether this be ICS/SCADA systems or software controlling physical infrastructure, or the networks and software that make the internet possible.
- Securing life-critical systems and software.
- Securing research and development.
- Providing tools and education for software developers to bake security in to their software, from the start when possible, or incrementally when needed.
- Training the next generation of information security practitioners, and helping those already in our industry learn to adapt their skills to changing technologies and threats.
Most of my work is done through my role at IU CACR, which provides more flexibility than a research center would normally imply. I won't try to provide an exhaustive list of the things I'm interested in doing, because it's the edge cases and the odd projects that are often most attractive to me. Contact me with a short summary so that we can establish mutual interest, and we can work from there.
I'm happy to talk a bit and let you get to know me, or answer specific questions, but please don't ask me to email a copy of my CV or other details you could have found on the page you probably got here from. My primary contact with your organization should speak fluent English so that we can communicate effectively.
If You Have a Start-Up
No, I don't want to be your co-founder. I don't care how awesome your idea is, I have things I need to finish right now that preclude me from going all-in on building a company from scratch.
I may consider advisor roles, however. I spent a good bit of my career moving between different tech startups, and learned a lot doing it. One of the downsides of being joined at the hip to academia is that it's hard to remain grounded in the economy, and advising another startup could help me that. Meanwhile, I've got a great deal of startup experience, a great deal of infosec experience, and a weird amount of experience from totally unrelated fields.
If you want me to consider advising your start-up, go ahead and drop me an email, preferably heavy on details. If I have to watch a video to find out what your startup does, you don't respect my time.